GE Water's unique
one-step manufacturing process continuously
extrudes and thermally bonds
pure polypropylene microfibers into a complex
Microfilaments plus precise control maximize the
positive filtration characteristics of graded
density, tight micron cutoffs and maximum void
area with millions of tortuous paths. This fully
automated manufacturing process assures
consistent quality, filter to filter, year in
and year out. New thermal and vacuum finishing
procedures produce exceptionally clean filters
imprinted for easy identification in the field.
An Entirely New Technology
Years ago there were string-wound cartridge
filters. Later, chopped fiber cartridges cemented with
binders were developed. Then in 1978, Hytrex
dramatically improved cartridge filter performance.
Proprietary technology supported by 23 patents made
Hytrex filters unique in the cartridge filtration
industry. Since 1978, field experience in hundreds of
applications has proved Hytrex filters’ superiority.
What Hytrex Is Not
it is not strings of yarn mechanically
wound around a separate core with added lubricants
and anti-static agents.
it is not short chopped fibers molded
together with chemical binders.
it is not layers of non-woven microfibers.
Pleated, molded and layered microfiber cartridges
function for the most part only as surface
filters. Particles collect primarily on the surface,
blinding the filter and reducing its effective life.
In molded filters, binders such as melamine,
formaldehyde and phenols become extractables and leach
into the filtrate. Their decomposition allows fibers to
loosen and migrate. In string-wound filters, additives
can leach and particles can slip through channels in the
windings, contaminating the filtrate.
What Hytrex Filters Offer That Other
True Graded Density
lower density at the surface of the filter with
progressively higher density toward the center.
particles are trapped throughout the entire
cross section of the filter, creating superior
no surface blinding, which reduces flow and
increases filter changeouts.
high flow rates with low pressure drop
throughout the range of flows.
longest service life compared with competitive
Thermally-Bonded Microfiber Construction
thermally fixed fibers will not move under
pressure or pressure surges and dislodge dirt into
- extremely small continuous filaments maximize
controlled porosity and complex tortuous paths.
- high structural strength and integrity provide
excellent end sealing.
- lowest media migration ensures no fiber
contamination of the filtrate.
- patented thermally-bonded blown microfiber
process assures consistent performance, filter to
A Single Pure Material
- highest quality lot-controlled polypropylene.
- contains no wetting agents, solvents,
anti-static agents, binders or additives of any
- inert material means broad chemical
- no leachables or extractables.
- incinerates to trace ash with no hazardous
volatiles, for easy disposal.
- meets the requirements of the United States Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) for food and
Automated Continuous Manufacturing
- continuous construction in lengths of 1 ˝ in.
(3.8 cm) to 50 in. (127 cm) with no joints or
- self-supporting media requires no separate
- marked with micron rating right on the cartridge
for easy filter identification.
- thermal and vacuum finishing procedures
virtually eliminate manufacturing debris.
- integral pure polypropylene end adapters fit
filter housings without bypass.
- machine packaging and sealing of each cartridge
provides clean filters in the field.
- automated, consistent manufacturing assures
reliable performance and repeatable results year